ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE
MEN'S BASKETBALL WEEKLY HONORS
December 20, 2010
PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Xavier’s Terrell Holloway recorded a triple-double in Saturday’s win against Wake Forest with 14 points, a career-high 10 rebounds and a career-high 14 assists. The junior guard played 33 minutes against the Demon Deacons connecting on 50 percent of his shots from the floor (5-of-10) and was a perfect 3-for-3 from the free throw line. It marked the first triple-double in the A-10 since Duquesne’s Shawn James performed the feat in 2008, while it marked the first in Xavier school history since David West accomplished the feat in 2001-02 season. The 14 assists turned in by Holloway are a league-high, while he committed just one turnover. The weekly honor is the third for Holloway this year.
St. Bonaventure’s Andrew Nicholson recorded 44 points on 74 percent shooting from the floor (14-of-19) to lead all scorers and grabbed 12 rebounds for his fifth straight double-double in St. Bonaventure’s 112-107, quadruple overtime win over Ohio last Saturday. The game was the longest in St. Bonaventure history and Nicholson’s 44 points are the eighth highest single-game total in school annals. The junior forward played all 60 minutes and netted 15 of his points in the combined extra periods. Nicholson finished the game tallying career-highs in assists (5) and free throws made (16). The Mississauga, Ontario, Canada native registered a block shot in the win and became just the third player at SBU to block at least 150 career shots.
ROOKIE OF THE WEEK
George Washington’s Nemanja Mikic scored 19 points to tie a team-high as the Colonials went on the road and defeated Oregon State 87-79 last Saturday. The freshman forward shot 60 percent from beyond the arc connecting on six three-pointers, his second highest three-point total of the season. Mikic, a native of Novi Sad, Serbia, also added two assists and a steal against the Beavers. The victory marked GW’s first true road win over a team from a BCS conference since Dec. 8, 2001, when the Colonials defeated Providence in Rhode Island.
Xavier hits the road to face Gonzaga in a game shown on ESPN2 at 11:00 p.m. (EST) on Wednesday, December 22, while George Washington returns home to face East Carolina at 7:00 p.m. St. Bonaventure will hit the hardwood against Virginia Tech on Thursday, December 23 in a game played at the Blue Cross Arena in Rochester, N.Y.
WEEKLY HONOR ROLL
- Dayton’s Chris Wright matched his career-high of 30 points in 27 minutes of action as he shot 76 percent (10-of-13) from the floor as the Flyers defeated Western Carolina
- George Washington’s Tony Taylor turned in a double-double with 19 points and 11 assists as the Colonials defeated Oregon Stat
- Derrio Green scored 13 points and dished out the game-winning assist on a Phil Jones bucket with 7.4 seconds left as Charlotte upset #7 Tennessee at the Time Warner Cable Arena
- Bill Clark posted a double-double with 17 points and 14 rebounds as Duquesne defeated IUPUI 81-5
- Temple’s Ramone Moore scored 21 points, dished out a career-high six assists and blocked a career-high two shots in an 84-74 win over Northern Illinois
- La Salle’s Aaric Murray scored a career-high 28 points and blocked a shot to become the fastest Explorer to reach 100 blocked shots.