MEN'S BASKETBALL WEEKLY HONORS
December 27, 2010
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Richmond led all scorers with a career-high 25 points versus Lafayette on December 22. The sophomore guard connected on eight field goals – including a career-best seven beyond the arc as Richmond finished the game shooting 61.5 percent from the floor and 63.6 percent from three-point land. The Sanford, N.C., native also added three rebounds and two steals in 35 minutes of play. Richmond played a key role in leading the Rams back from a six-point halftime deficit.
ROOKIES OF THE WEEK
Frazier scored 18 points on 7-of-8 shooting from the floor in leading Fordham to its fourth straight victory as the Rams defeated Kennesaw State 80-63 last week. The freshman guard also collected four rebounds and four assists while posting a perfect field goal percentage from long range (2-for-2) and from the charity stripe (2-for-2).
Staten averaged 9.0 points, 6.0 assists and 3.0 rebounds over two games last week in earning his third Rookie of the Week honor this year. The freshman guard opened the week with nine points and nine assists in a win over Winthrop. Staten then went for nine points for the second straight outing in leading Dayton to a 69-65 victory at Seton Hall. The Dayton, Ohio native added three rebounds, three assists and a steal in the win over the Pirates. Staten posted a 4-to-1 assist to turnover ratio on the week.
Rhode Island returns to action on Wednesday, December 29 as the Rams host Boston College at the Ryan Center. Fordham will head west to Santa Clara, Calif., and play American in the opening round of the Cable Car Tournament on Wednesday, December 29, while Dayton hosts George Mason on Wednesday with tip-off scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
WEEKLY HONOR ROLL
- Charlotte's Derrio Green scored a game-high 16 points, including seven straight points in the final two minutes that lifted the 49ers to a 57-53, come-from-behind victory over Wright State
- Richmond's Justin Harper led the Spiders in scoring in both wins on the week, scoring a season-high 24 points in a win at Seton Hall
- Temple's Rahlir Jefferson scored a career-high 18 points in a career-high 31 minutes in Temple's 76-65 win at Ohio on December 22
- Fordham's Chris Gaston recorded his eighth double-double of the year and 27th in his career with 20 points and 11 rebounds in a win over Kennesaw State
- Chris Johnson led UD to a pair of wins last week, averaging 13.0 points and 9.0 rebounds - pulled down 11 offensive rebounds in the two games
- In the Colonials' only game of the week, Tony Taylor scored his career-high 26 points to lead GW over East Carolina, 82-80, Wednesday at Smith Center
- T.J. McConnell scored 19 points and added three steals in Duquesne's double overtime loss to George Mason
- Saint Louis ' Brian Conklin score a career-high 19 points against Ole Miss and was named to the Cancun Governor's Cup All-Tournament Team
- St. Bonaventure's Andrew Nicholson scored a game-high 21 points as the Bonnies fell to Virginia Tech, 76-68, in overtime at Blue Cross Arena in Rochester, N.Y.
- 5358766>Jerrell Williams scored a career-high 24 points and pulled down 14 rebounds as the Explorers fell to Rider last week.