Nicholson averaged 22 points and 13 rebounds as St. Bonaventure won its first two games in the Basketball Travelers Classic at Illinois State...shot 16-of-19 from the field and added four blocks...scored 15 points and pulled down 12 rebounds in 26 minutes of action on Nov. 27 as the Bonnies turned aside Southeast Missouri State, 67-44...matched his career high with 29 points and added a career-best 14 boards as SBU downed Norfolk State on Nov. 28, 98-71...marked his fifth career 20-point effort.
Spears averaged 27 points and five rebounds while connecting on a blistering 22-of-28 shots (78.6 percent) in a pair of Charlotte victories...scored 28 points on 13-of-15 shooting and grabbed six rebounds in the 49ers' 88-74 win over Yale on Nov. 23...had 26 points and a pair of blocks on Nov. 24 as Charlotte earned an 80-72 victory at Hofstra...has scored at least 20 points in each of his four games this season.
Richmond scored in double figures in each of Rhode Island's three victories on the week...had 10 points in 15 minutes on 4-of-8 shooting on Nov. 22 in the Rams' 92-75 win over Holy Cross...scored 10 points and grabbed four rebounds as URI downed Stony Brook on Nov. 24, 75-58...had 11 points on Nov. 28 in the Rams' 75-65 win at Davidson...his three field goals from beyond the arc at Davidson were the most by a URI freshman since Jimmy Baron knocked down three versus Temple on Mar. 8, 2006.
November 22, 2009
WEEKLY HONOR ROLL
- Charlotte freshman forward Chris Braswell averaged 7.5 points and eight rebounds in a pair of victories
- Junior forward Chris Wright of Dayton averaged 17.5 points and 9.5 rebounds while shooting 12-of-17 from the field
- Duquesne junior forward Damian Saunders averaged 17.7 points and 14 rebounds in three games at the O'Reilly Auto Parts CBE Classic in Cullowhee, N.C
- Freshman guard Lasan Kromah of George Washington averaged 12 points and four rebounds over two contests while draining five field goals from beyond the arc
- La Salle freshman center Aaric Murray scored 15 points and grabbed 14 rebounds in the Explorers' 81-63 loss to fourth-ranked Villanova on Nov. 28
- Senior guard David Gonzalvez scored 18 points on Nov. 28 as Richmond captured the South Padre Island Invitational on Nov. 28 with a 59-52 win over Missouri
- Saint Louis sophomore forward Willie Reed registered a pair of double-doubles and averaged 15 points and 11 rebounds over four contests in the Chicago Invitational Challenge. Reed was named to the All-Tournament team for his efforts.
Richmond posted wins over 2009 NCAA participants Mississippi State (63-62) and Missouri (59-52) to capture the South Padre Island Invitational title. Senior guard David Gonzalvez scored 18 points versus Missouri on Nov. 28, while teammate Kevin Anderson was tabbed the MVP of the tourney. In all six of their wins this season, the Spiders have held their opponent to less than 35 percent shooting and have surrendered a total of six fastbreak points thru seven games.
START ME UP
- Charlotte improved to 4-1 for the first time since 2000-01 after earning an 80-72 win at Hofstra on Nov. 24.
- Duquesne opened the season with four consecutive wins for the third straight year.
- George Washington secured its first 4-0 start since 2006-07 after turning aside Princeton on Nov. 24, 65-50.
- Rhode Island boasts a 4-0 record for the second time in three seasons.
- Richmond is off to its first 6-1 start since the 2000-01 campaign and have won six of its first seven games for just the fifth time since 1957-58.
- St. Bonaventure upped its record to 4-1 for the first time since 1999-00 - its last NCAA appearance - with a 98-71 win over Norfolk State on Nov. 28.
- Saint Louis jumped out to a 4-0 start for the first time since the 1997-98 campaign.
- Temple won four of its first five games for the first time since 2000-01.
CAROLINA IN MY MIND
The James Taylor titled song seems appropriate after Duquesne earned a 70-52 win over Binghamton on Nov. 23 in the opening round of the O'Reilly Auto Parts CBE Classic in Cullowhee, N.C. It marked the program's first victory in North Carolina since a 53-33 win over North Carolina State on Jan. 14, 1937. The Dukes edged Arkansas-Monticello in overtime (75-72) on Nov. 24 in the second round.
PREFERRING A CLOSE SHAVE
As a result of its 74-69 win over Towson on Nov. 28, Dayton improved to 21-1 over its last 22 contests in games decided by five points or less.
St. Bonaventure limited Southeast Missouri State on Nov. 27 and Binghamton on Nov. 20 to 44 and 40 points, respectively. The Bonnies did not hold an opponent to under 50 points in its previous 275 games prior to that span.
A CLEAN FIFTEEN
Senior guard Keith Cothran scored a game-high 19 points in Rhode Island's 75-65 victory at Davidson on Nov. 28 as URI improved to 19-1 since 2006-07 when Cothran scores 15 or points.
FLYING FROM BEHIND
Dayton's rally from an 18-point deficit with 9:33 left to edge Towson (74-69) on Nov. 28 is believed to be the Flyers' largest comeback from inside the ten-minute mark in program history. The UD record for the largest halftime deficit erased is 20 points (vs. Cincinnati on Jan. 31, 1987) and the second-largest from halftime is 16 (vs. La Salle, on Feb. 28, 1996).
Senior guard Ricky Harris scored 15 points in Massachusetts' 106-68 loss to second-ranked Michigan State on Nov. 28. Harris ranks 10th on the school's all-time scoring list with 1,453 points. On Nov. 18, Harris scored 26 points to move past Julius Erving (1,370) and Marcus Camby (1,387). Harris has knocked down 207 three-point field goals since the start of the 2007-08 season.
Duquesne junior Damian Saunders is off to a torrid start, with five double-doubles in as many games. The 6-7 forward is averaging 17.2 points and 15.4 rebounds entering the Dukes' Nov. 29 contest versus Radford and has pulled down 15 or more boards four times this season. Saunders is the first Duquesne player to register five consecutive double-doubles since Bruce Atkins in January of 1982.
Through Charlotte's opening five games this season, eight different players have reached double figures in points at least once.
Dayton won its 22nd consecutive home game - a new program record -as a result of its 74-69 win over Towson on Nov. 28. UD previously had won 21 straight home games in the old UD Fieldhouse from Dec. 2, 1959, to Jan. 7, 1961. The current streak began on Mar. 8, 2008, with a win over Saint Joseph's. The Flyers' 22-game streak is the fourth-longest active streak in the nation.
NO ORDINARY FANS
President Obama and the First Family were in attendance on Nov. 28 as George Washington dropped a 64-57 home decision to Oregon State. The Beavers are coached by Craig Robinson, brother of First Lady Michelle Obama.
Xavier sophomore Jordan Crawford leads Xavier in scoring at 19.0 ppg. thru the Musketeers first five contests. It's early but, to put the numbers in perspective, XU has not had a leading scorer average 17 or more points since National Player of the Year David West averaged 20.1 ppg. as a senior in 2002-03.
HOW ABOUT THAT
Junior Jerrell Williams and freshman Aaric Murray each registered double doubles in La Salle's 81-63 loss at fourth-ranked Villanova on Nov. 28. It marked the first time two Explorers delivered double-double efforts since Feb. 25, 2004, when Mike Cleaves (15 pts, 10 rebs) and Mike St. John (10 pts, 10 rebs) did so in a 74-70 (OT) loss to Temple. In addition, Williams' 16 rebounds versus `Nova were the most by an Explorer since Rasual Butler had 20 versus Morris Brown on Nov. 18, 2002.
START ME UP
Dayton senior Kurt Huelsman has started every game in his career, a span of 105 consecutive starts. That marks the longest active streak in the Atlantic 10. Nate Green holds the all-time program record with 133 games played and Mark Ashman holds the UD record for starts with 119.
BAGS ARE PACKED
Despite having a new building as its homecourt, Saint Joseph's will not play again in Hagan Arena until Dec. 20. The Hawks have two straight on the road (Rider, Cornell) and then host rival Villanova at their `home away from home', The Palestra, on Dec. 9. The Hawks will visit Minnesota on Dec. 12 before taking a break for final exams and return to Hagan Arena on Dec. 20 to host Lehigh.