Crawford averaged 26 points, six rebounds and four assists over two contests as Xavier downed La Salle (68-62) on Jan. 7 and fell to Wake Forest in double overtime (96-92) on Jan. 3...scored a career-best 30 points at Wake Forest and added six rebounds, four assists and four steals...led XU?with 22 points at La Salle...leads the A-10 in scoring at 19.4 ppg...named the A-10 Player of the Week for the second time.
Johnson established career highs in both points (26) and rebounds (20) in Dayton's 78-72 (OT) victory over Duquesne on Jan. 9...marked the first 20-rebound effort in the A-10 this season...grabbed 10 rebounds on Jan. 6 in the Flyers' 59-35 win over Ball State...averaged 15.5 points and 15 rebounds on the week and did not commit a turnover in 53 minutes of action.
Kromah scored a season-high 23 points on 9-of-11 shooting on Jan. 6 in George Washington's 78-71 win at St. Bonaventure in the Colonials' lone contest of the week...knocked down 5-of-7 shots from beyond the arc...marked his third 20-point performance on the year...tabbed the A-10 Rookie of the Week for the second time.
January 10, 2010
- Charlotte junior forward Shamari Spears averaged 15 points and 8.5 rebounds over two games, while freshman forward Chris Braswell grabbed 14 rebounds in the 49ers' 57-54 win over St. Bonaventure on Jan. 9
- Junior forward Damian Saunders of Duquesne averaged 18.5 points and 12 rebounds in two contests, while freshman guard Sean Johnson averaged 13 points and four boards
- Senior guard Ricky Harris scored 21 points - including the game-winning basket with 2.9 seconds remaining - as UMass edged Fordham on Jan. 6, 78-76
- Rhode Island senior forward Delroy James scored 19 points, grabbed eight rebounds and added five blocks in the Rams' 68-63 victory at Akron on Jan. 5
- In his collegiate debut on Jan. 9, freshman forward Cody Ellis scored 10 points and added five rebounds off the bench as Saint Louis edged visiting Richmond, 63-58
- Temple junior forward Lavoy Allen scored 20 points and grabbed 11 rebounds as the Owls turned aside Saint Joseph's on Jan. 6, 73-46.
GW earned its 11th win of the season on Jan. 6 as a result of its 78-71 win at St. Bonaventure. The Colonials amassed 10 wins all of last season. The win also marked the Colonials' sixth road victory of the season. GW amassed three road victories all of last season and their 4-0 start on the road in 2009-10 was the program's best since a 6-0 mark in 1947-48. After winning 11 games in 2008-09, Charlotte secured its 11th victory this season with a 57-54 win over St. Bonaventure on Jan. 9.
Three-time defending A-10 champion Xavier enters league play boasting a 24-game home-winning streak in A-10 action. Temple holds the record with 34 consecutive home wins in Conference play (Dec. 10, 1987 - Feb. 19, 1991), while UMass won 24 straight home league contests from Jan. 15, 1992, to Feb. 14, 1995.
With junior Chris Wright in the lineup, Dayton boasts a perfect 37-0 mark at UD Arena. The 6-8 forward scored 16 points and grabbed 11 rebounds in the Flyers' 78-72 (OT) win over Duquesne on Jan. 9.
Duquesne's Damian Saunders notched his 13th double-double of the season and 20th of his career with 21 points and 11 rebounds in the Dukes' 78-72 (OT) loss at Dayton on Jan. 9. The junior forward's 13 double-doubles are the most by a Duquesne player in a season since Bruce Atkins had 16 in 1981-82. Saunders has pulled down at least 15 rebounds seven times this season, while his career high for rebounds entering the year was 14 boards.
- Xavier seeks to become the first team to win four straight A-10 titles since UMass won five straight from 1992-1996.
- As a result of its 80-68 win at Duquesne on?Jan. 6, Richmond improved to 13-0 versus the Dukes since joining the A-10 in 2001-02.
- Rhode Island earned its fifth road victory on Jan. 5 with a 68-63 win at Akron. ?The Zips entered the contest having won 71 of their last 80 home games.
- Dayton held Ball State to 35 points in its 59-35 win on Jan. 5, which tied for the sixth-fewest points allowed by the Flyers since 1950.
- For his career, junior Damian Saunders of Duquesne has more blocks (177), steals (164) and assists (163) than turnovers (149).
?Dayton sophomore forward Chris Johnson scored 26 points and grabbed 20 rebounds on Jan. 9 as the Flyers edged visiting Duquesne in overtime, 78-72. It marked the first time a UD player registered a "20-20" performance since Ryan Perryman?scored 26 points...and grabbed 20 rebounds...against Duquesne...on Feb. 25, 1998.
Temple junior forward Lavoy Allen pulled down 11 rebounds in the Owls' 73-46 win over Saint Joseph's on Jan. 6, his 27th performance with double-digit rebounds since the start of the 2008-09 season. Allen (11.2 ppg., 10.3 rpg.) is on pace to become the first TU player to average a double-double since Ollie Johnson in 1970-71. Johnson is also last Owl to average double figures in rebounds.
After just recently gaining eligibility by the NCAA and coming to Saint Louis from Australia, freshman forward Cody Ellis scored 10 points and grabbed five rebounds off the bench in his collegiate debut on Jan. 9 as the Billikens edged Richmond, 63-58.
Rhode Island's last win over a ranked opponent came on Dec. 2, 1998, when Rhody downed #25 Utah, 70-63. URI has lost its last 16 matchups against ranked opponents. The Rams are off to a 12-1 start for just the 10th time in program annals.
Dayton won its 29th consecutive home game - a program record - as a result of its 78-72 victory in overtime over Duquesne on Jan. 9. The current streak began on Mar. 8, 2008, with a win over St. Joe's. The Flyers' 28-game streak is the third-longest active streak in the nation. UD earned its 500th win in the 40-year history of the University of Dayton Arena on Dec. 29 in a 74-60 victory over Boston University. Xavier has a record of 127-17 (.882) all-time at Cintas Center, its on-campus home arena, and boasts a 16-game home winning streak after turning aside LSU on Dec. 29, 89-65. The Musketeers' 16-game home-winning streak marks their longest since the building opened for the 2000-01 season.
Despite receiving five stitches in a gash over his left eyebrow after falling hard to the floor while being fouled on a layup in the second half of Charlotte's 57-54 win over St. Bonaventure on Jan. 9, senior guard DiJuan Harris returned to the lineup to spark a decisive 13-2 run. Harris passed out two assists in the game to become the eighth player in school history to reach 400 career assists.
Senior guard Ricky Harris scored 21 points in Massachusetts' 78-76 victory over Fordham on Jan. 6 and ranks ninth on the school's all-time scoring list with 1,573 points. On Nov. 18, Harris scored 26 points to move past both Julius Erving (1,370) and Marcus Camby (1,387) and boasts 236 three-point field goals for his career.
LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL
Although Saint Joseph's 4-9 record through its first 13 games this season is the worst 13-game start under Phil Martelli, the Hawks were actually 5-8 after 13 games a year ago. SJU then turned things around to finish with a 17-15 record. That 2008-09 squad won seven in a row in the early part of January.
Duquesne has tied the school record for overtime games in a season with four in 16 games this season. DU, which is 2-2 in the OT games, has played four overtime games in a season three other times: 1993-94, 1990-91 and 1976-77. In an oddity of sorts, the Duquesne men and women have played overtime games on the same day twice this season (in a women's/men's doubleheader versus Canisius on Dec. 16 and on Jan. 9 when the women defeated Charlotte and the men lost at Dayton).
Sophomore Jordan Crawford of Xavier leads the A-10 in scoring at 19.4 ppg. thru the Musketeers' first 14 contests. XU has not had its leading scorer average 17 or more points since National Player of the Year David West averaged 20.1 ppg. as a senior in 2002-03.